Wednesday 19 September 2012

More on Durfort


My  Parisian woman
As promised, I wanted to show you some of the work I created during my week in Durfort under the guidance of the lovely Dayle Doroshow.
I have not yet, completed any work however there are many plans afloat now. My Mogdigliani inspired Friench lady ( here on the left ) is the first of  a series of art dolls revolving around tassles I collected whilst in France. I intend to make some of my own tassles too. My mate, Christine, the other Aussie in our group thought my lady was a man in drag. Good thing, Im not easily offended, thanks Chris!
The other figure shown here on the right is my mermaid brooch. I have no idea why I chose a mermaid. I just got carried away with her hair. Does not sound like me to get carried away, does it ......

The beginnings of a journal cover
I've always been a book freak.  When I learnt that our first project was to create a journal cover from an old hardback book cover, you can imagine how pleased I was. The cover was removed from the book and recovered in fabrics, papers then embellished. The inside of the book has a number of treatments which include pockets,  foldouts and pop ups. The book will be a diary of the time in Durfort.

Another area we covered included making polymer appear as bone  or ivory. Below are some buttons I created.
This technique is very simple and has numerous applications.

I mentioned in my last blog, we played with all sorts of transfers. For polymer there's sharpie, colored pencil, heat, lazertran, gel medium and photocopies.

On paper we used Wintergreen oil, packing tape and learnt how to do a napkin and tissue melt. Dayle also taught us many different ways to transfer onto fabric too.
Lazertran transfer polymer brooch



















No comments:

Post a Comment